We are all dealing with something – whether it’s about a strained relationship with a parent, getting stressed out at work, losing a loved one or even having to deal with an awful break-up, somehow it takes a toll on our mental health. And each of us has a different way of dealing with difficult situations. However, sometimes, we find it a little too difficult to cope with the unfortunate circumstances in our life – and as a result, sometimes we need help.
For those in southern California, Dr. Herbst is one of the best depression and anxiety psychiatrist in Los Angeles. For every individual that he sees, he determines a diagnosis and works out a treatment plan specifically for them. A treatment plan is a combination of therapies that suit your health needs, personal preferences, family situation and age. And Dr. Herbst works together with his patients to develop a treatment plan that’s right for them. Specifically, he has found these five mental health treatments to be the most effective and helping:
- Medication – Medication may not directly treat mental illnesses however, it may help with alleviating the symptoms. You may match medication with other mental health treatment options like psychotherapy or support groups to make it more effective.
- Psychotherapy – It is a way to help people with mental illnesses and emotional difficulties cope with what their dealing with. It is a term that is used to describe the process of treating psychological disorders by using verbal techniques. Basically, the patient talks to a psychiatrist about his or her problems.
- Medication-Assisted Treatment – Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) is the use of medications, such as methadone and buprenorphine, in combination with behavioral-therapy to treat opioid addictions.
- Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) – It is a procedure, done under general anesthesia, in which small electric currents are passed through the brain, intentionally triggering a brief seizure. When other forms of treatment or therapy do not help the patient overcome what he or she is going through, then ECT is used.
- Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) – It is a non-invasive and relatively painless tool that has been used to study various cognitive functions as well as to understand the brain-behavior relationship in normal individuals as well as in those with various neuropsychiatric disorders.
When people are diagnosed with mental illness, it takes a great amount of strength to recover. However, recovery can be achieved by participating in individual or group mental health treatments that is recommended by a licensed psychiatrist. For those in southern California, Dr. Herbst is an experienced Los Angeles psychiatrist that has successfully helped numerous patients find the best treatment based on their condition. If you are looking for a trusted psychiatrist that always has his patients’ best interest in mind, schedule a consultation with him today.